Saturday, June 26, 2010

An Oatmeal Sack?

I made Polenta at work yesterday. Its basically cornmeal cooked in hot milk with Italian spices until thickened. Then, turn off the stove, add Parmesan cheese, sour cream and 4 beaten eggs.

Spray a sheet pan and bake this batter in a moderate oven until firm and golden brown. Not too hard if you do it in steps.

We serve a Ragu over that in the restaurant.
But, what caught my ultralight backpacker eye was the bag the fine cornmeal comes in.
Its lightweight, strong, and doesn't leak. AND they throw them away. Of course, this is America.

But as all ultra lighters (us frugal ones, anyways) know, a lot of good gear can be had by recycling.
Some call it dumpster diving. Not so. Its saving the planet.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

So, the empty bag was put in my locker until now, and I plan to use a twist tie to secure the opening, after filling it with oatmeal. No more worries about Ziploc baggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment