Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Simplicity is the Spice


I'm a complicated woman who loves simplicity.
Friends, hanging out on Whitney, after hiking all the way from Mexico.
Sitting around a campsite cooking Ramen. A trail heading north.
Albert Einstein wrote "Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord find harmony. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" . These were his three rules of work, and he is a genius.
I'm lounging on a rock in the foreground here. We'd climbed Whitney that morning, after stashing most of our backpacking gear in bear boxes down in Crabtree Meadows. As long distance hikers know, the longer you hike, the less you carry. You get it down to basics. The stuff that doesn't work you replace, or get rid of entirely. You look for gear you can fix yourself while on the journey. Our journeys had begun at the Mexican border, in late April. Now, it was June.
I still love the simplicity of a long trail. My co workers will see me eating with just a spoon. It makes sense to me. Why use a host of utensils when your basic spoon does it all?
I carry an solar powered L E D light, having given up on flashlights and batteries. Still use a silnylon wallet. Drive a 1996 Geo. Pants with pockets and jackets with hoods is my mantra for recreational clothing.
Always keeping things practical and simple to reduce the clutter and maintenance of material things.
To read an essay on my Ultralight Philosophy
By stripping things down to key functions, we can save ourselves many product failures. That's always been my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment