Thursday, July 8, 2010

Lady Mountain, Zion National Park

My friends at work all know I love to hike. Not just the easy stuff, and the cement and well blazed trails. Adventures are always in order. So, yesterday the chef gives me a trail to look up:

Lady Mountain.

I googled it:

http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-lady-mountain.htm

Sounds interesting. It starts right here, and I must have hiked past the left hand turn heading up the steep incline several times already. Must be fairly overgrown.

But wait. Did it say 80 feet of rope? What are 5.7 YDS ratings?

"This has an over-hanging, 8-foot boulder move, rated at 5.3 YDS. It is found a little less than one-mile into the ascent. Let the best climber in your group take the rope up the unprotected section where they will find a re-bar eyelet anchor. They can then belay less experienced climbers. Keep in mind that the exposure on this move is about 80 feet and the consequences of a slip could be severe."


The survivor in me says this is above my skill level. Way above.

I've done the Pine Oven scramble, hiked the entire Appalachian Trail. Didn't need any ropes or belays.
I've hiked the entire Pacific Crest Trail and been up Mt. Whitney with an ice ax. All this can be done alone.
Angels Landing was pretty cool.

I think I'll pass on the Lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment