Saturday, August 21, 2010

Nearly Vegan


Now that I'm home and back on the healthy eating track, Nearly Vegan is my food preferences.

Last night for supper we had salads, boiled red potatoes, and black bean tacos with salsa.

Its the tacos I want to write about today. They were really tasty and seriously healthy.

You start by heating a cast iron skillet with about a tablespoon of canola oil in it.
Place two corn tortillas side by side in it. When they start getting slightly crispy, place one fourth cup of drained black beans mixed with diced onions in the center of each one.
Then fold the sides up over the middle, forming a nice little taco package.
Continue to fry until golden brown. Serve warm with salsa.
We each ate two tacos.

Canola oil is stable and full of omega 3 fatty acids, necessary for good heart and arteries.
Black beans have a lot of fiber and protein.
Onions have antioxidants and just taste good.
Salsa has no fat, vitamin C and many other good things for you.

The new page on this blog Nearly Vegan will have more tips and recipes as I continue to eliminate animal products from my diet.

I'm doing this purely for health reasons, not religious or moral concerns
I feel if people knew about all the chemicals, antibiotics, overcrowding, and inhumane treatment used , it is possible the meat and dairy industries would suffer a big hit.
That's not my goal. My goal is to live a long, healthy life and share what I learn with my readers.

Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment