Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Recycle, Reuse, Reduce, Repair



Living "green" is all about the four R's: Recycle, Reuse, Reduce and Repair.

Today, I used a trick learned last year in Yellowstone. I had this really great jacket but the zipper was getting stuck and wouldn't separate at the bottom allowing me to get it off without pulling it over my head.

Some friends suggested I just throw it away. Then, one savvy gal suggested I rub some wax, like from lip balm, over the teeth of the zipper. I did that, and slowly but surely the zipper slid open.

I also became aware of how important for the life of the zipper it was to align it properly , seating the metal prongs all the way into the slide before attempting to zip it up. Voila!

So, this jacket in the photo above was likewise rescued from the junk pile, or zipper replacement by some simple lubricant.

This works on many other things. Some WD40 will unstick lots of things as well. Just when I'm about to give up on a bolt or screw, I bring out the WD40.

Some machine oil on hinges or sewing machine moving parts goes a long ways. It doesn't take much.

Reducing the way we consume is important for a sustainable planet. Instead of thinking of things as disposable, we can think of them as repairable.

When all else fails, recycling is a great way to help the environment. The free magazines that come my way are shredded to make bedding for local animals at our local recycle center. That in turn reduces the amount of straw that must be purchased and trucked over long distances.

I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment