Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cirro Jacket from Brooks-Range -Gear Review

The Brooks-Range Cirro Jacket is an ultra light 100 % nylon jacket that weighs a mere 10 5/8 ounce. When it arrived, I thought the box must be empty.

http://brooks-range.com/cirro-jacket.html



I have the small without a hood, and tested it today in 40 degrees with winds gusting to 20 mph. Absolutely cut the wind and kept me warm. The pockets, all 4 of them, are substantial, giving plenty of room for mittens, phone, sun glasses, and more.
The exterior chest pocket is the only one with a reversible zipper, and that's the one to use as a self stuffing pouch. Gently does it, of course. The zippers are ultralight as well, a 2.5 coil. When stuffed into this pocket, it makes a sweet pouch measuring approximately 10 inches long by 7 inches wide, a few inches thick.




There are two size pockets for hands, etc, and one interior chest pocket.

All the stitching is excellent. The fabric has the much sought after feel of pure silk, even though it's a .9 ounce ripstop nylon, made by Pertex. This special fabric, Pertex Quantum, coupled with the Primaloft insulation is featherweight, yet warm!


Ok, now, how did I personally feel wearing it?
Well, I'm 5 foot 2 inches, 118 pounds and this small jacket fit very nicely except the sleeves were a couple inches too long. The sizing charts are a little off, so, unless your chest is less than 42, waist less than 36, and not over 5 feet 8 inches, I'd recommend the next size up.
The jacket comes to mid hip on me.
My partner, Rainmaker tried the jacket on. According to the sizing chart, it should fit him, sleeve length and all. Not so, he will need a medium.



This jacket moves with you, never binding, or feeling heavy. I used it driving to town, shopping, walking in the woods, and at home. In all situations, the freedom of movement, with the sleeves tucked under because of the extra length, was great.

The jacket is made in China, and the care label reflects this with pictures. I'm getting : hand wash in cool water, no irons, no dryers, no heat.

Sounds good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment