Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Going MainStream How to Soda Can Stove?

I'm Friends with Treehugger on Facebook
Today they posted this link which takes you to an article and video clip on how to make the soda can stove. I'm loving it.

http://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/how-build-light-weight-9-gram-alcohol-stove-old-drinks-cans.html#mkcpgn=fbth1

Ultralight backpackers carry them exclusively, religiously. I saw a guy making one with just a jack knife at a picnic table in 2001 at the Annual Zero Day Kick Off Party.

I carried a very streamlined cook set on my Appalachian Trail Thru hike. It weighed only 3.5 ounces, all of it nesting into the plastic container. Its seen a lot of use, and looking pretty scroungy. I post it here for your inspection.
I still have and use this stove. It cost nothing but a labor of love from my friend, and some really decent heat resistant tape.


He also made the pot support. The "pot" is made from a aluminum large Vienna sausage can. All recyclable stuff.  As you prepare for your adventures this summer, check out the do it yourself gear. It will last a long time. This stove has hundreds of meals under it's ultralight belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment