Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Mount Rainier Here I Come

It may seem silly, but I'm in the market for snowshoes.

Amazon.com is of course one of many places to start looking, and after my avalanche training I know backcountry skis have their limitations. read http://thefemalesurvivalist.blogspot.com for more on that adventure.

I can hear you all saying winter's almost over and I reply "SALES!"
And now the really big news. I'm going to work at Mount Rainier this summer, the snowiest place on earth. with snow possible any day of the year snowshoes might come in handy for the forth of July parade.
Here's what the National Park Service website has to say about this location:

Ascending to 14,410 feet above sea level, Mount Rainier stands as an icon in the Washington landscape. An active volcano, Mount Rainier is the most glaciated peak in the contiguous U.S.A., spawning six major rivers. Subalpine wildflower meadows ring the icy volcano while ancient forest cloaks Mount Rainier’s lower slopes. Wildlife abounds in the park’s ecosystems. A lifetime of discovery awaits.

I'll have my motor home inside the park and expect to explore the Wonderland trail as well.

Now, here's what I learned this weekend, good stuff before I go shopping for this essential piece of winter gear:

I learned snowshoes must bear weight of body and gear, have easy on off bindings workable in sub zero, and adaptable to various boots.



No comments:

Post a Comment