Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Winter Thru Hike of PCT

In March 12th, Thursday paper, I read the story of Justin Lichter and Shawn Forry's successful thru hike of the Pacific Crest trail. What makes it remarkable is they did it southbound, over the winter.

Ok. Wow. Having hiked the entire PCT (2000-2001) I know somewhat of what they went through. I can't imagine doing the passes in the JMT, though. They were snowy and steep in June. And that was a low snow year.

You'd need more calories, for sure, slugging over the trails in skis or snowshoes. I guess sometimes you'd be crossing massive streams on ice instead of wading waist deep.

Maybe nothing is impossible anymore, given the right equipment and mindset. The article told how they prepared by testing gear and researching food drops, given its not the season for resorts to be open. It also mentioned both were extremely experienced backpackers.

Kudos to the brave twosome. I remember reading the question posted, Is a winter thru hike on the CDT possible. I now believe it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment