Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Inspiration Now for the Long Haul

Henry David Thoreau is one of my favorite authors. His books seem a little dry at times, the prose a tiny bit over done, but if you get into his frame of mind, and realize what a pioneer he was in his day, all that takes a back seat.

I read Maine Woods while I was a ridge runner two years ago. Living in a tent right in Henry's stomping grounds, I could just picture his party portaging up the river and bushwhacking their way to the mighty mountain they called, and we call, Katahdin.

August 3, I completed my second thru hike. Katahdin hadn't changed, but I had.

And so, I googled quotes by Henry David Thoreau and came up with this site :
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/h/henry_david_thoreau.html
You can plug other names into its search engine, also.
And Volia!
In an instant, you'll have more inspiration than any one can deal with for a day. I had to pull myself away to continue working on my notes.

Then, I thought, why not share this with you?

As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives. Henry David Thoreau 

No comments:

Post a Comment